Volunteers and Events Training Program
7 November, 2019
The Volunteers and Events Training Program supports communities affected by disaster. The program is funded by the Commonwealth and Queensland Governments under the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
Under the initiative, 12 scholarships are available to eligible residents of 39 Local Government Areas to study one of six prescribed courses from Semester 1, 2020.
The scholarships can be used towards the cost of course fees, text books and living expenses, and must be fully spent before 30 June 2021.
Eligible residents must come from communities falling within declared disaster areas affected by record-breaking floods in January and February 2019.
The aim of the Volunteers and Events Training Program is to provide skills and build resilience in these areas, with a focus on helping the tourism industry recover and prepare for the future.
The scholarships are available to residents in the affected areas for the following courses:
- Diploma of Event Management (SIT50316)
- Diploma of Community Development (CHC52115)
- Diploma of Hospitality Management (SIT50416)
- Diploma of Travel and Tourism Management (SIT50116)
- Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery (SIT40516)
- Diploma of Business Administration (BSB50415)
The second part of the package is a bespoke training program available to nominated paid and unpaid event workers to build their customer service, resilience and partnership skills.
The third component is a study tour, enabling nominated industry workers to attend specific events outside their communities to learn from leaders in hospitality and tourism across the state.
Key partners in this project are the Queensland Department of Innovation, Tourism and Industry Development, the Queensland Reconstruction Authority, and the Commonwealth Government.
Who is eligible to apply for a scholarship?
You are eligible if you are:
- a paid or unpaid volunteer event worker
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- living in one of the 39 Local Government Areas activated under the DRFA
- currently enrolled in, scheduled to commence, or applying for one of the courses listed with TAFE Queensland in Semester 1, 2020.
Scholarship applications are now open and close on 30 November 2019.
For more information and to apply, click here.