Regional Roads Australia Mobile Program
30 January, 2024
The Better Connectivity Plan is a key initiative and part of the Australian Government’s telecommunications agenda and is providing more than $1.1 billion to rural and regional communities. This commitment forms part of the Government’s investment of more than $2.2 billion in regional communications.
The Plan includes $656 million provided in the 2022–23 October Budget over five years to improve mobile and broadband connectivity and resilience in rural and regional Australia. Initial funding allocations under the Plan include:
- $400 million to boost multi-carrier mobile coverage on regional roads, improve mobile coverage in under-served regional and remote communities, and increase the resilience of communications services and public safety communications facilities;
- $200 million for two additional rounds of the Regional Connectivity Program to invest in place-based digital connectivity infrastructure projects in regional communities;
- $30 million for on-farm connectivity, so farmers can take advantage of connected machinery and sensor technology;
- $20 million to conduct an independent audit of mobile coverage to better identify black spots and guide investment priorities; and
- $6 million to boost funding for the Regional Tech Hub, which supports regional consumers to access advice and support on digital connectivity options.